It is common for many to experience joint pains once in a while but this minimal discomfort is magically gone when we take some rest. If you start experiencing these pains from a young age then it is a clear warning sign that you need to change your habits. People from a young age develop this habit of stopping onto a desk and leaning forward while doing something and this results in a stooped posture. Moving forward in life the bone strength defeases and this is when all the troubles begin.
What is Hip Replacement
When people get older their bones become so weak that the joints are worn and damaged. This causes serious pain and sometimes it pains even while resting. There is no way for the body to heal this kind of damage and the only option left is to get a replacement surgery. Hip replacement is one of the most common surgeries and this involves the replacement of the hip joint with a prosthetic implant. There are two types of hip replacement surgeries. The first one is a hemi replacement where only one of the hip joints is replaced with a prosthetic implant and a total replacement involves replacing both the hip joints with a prosthetic implant.
It should be noted that hip replacement comes with its own complications and there is also a chance of infection, dislocation, and many other discomforts. So it is suggested that you go for a hip replacement only if the pain is unbearable and if all the pain-relieving measures stop working then a hip replacement is inevitable.
Below-mentioned points that one should take care of immediately after a hip replacement surgery.
- Patients should be very gentle with the hip and avoid unnecessary movements.
- Patients should make sure there is no bleeding or swelling in the operated area and if they do experience some pain it should go away after the recovery period.
- There might be some nerve damage near the hip area and the whole hip part may become numb.
- The length of both your legs might not be the same after a hip replacement surgery and this is nothing to worry about.
- Patients should sit straight in a chair and avoid a recliner. Sometimes the bone marrow may become loose and enter the bloodstream and if it reaches the lungs there can be some serious breathing issues.
- The patient has to be very careful with the diet and their movements.
- If the patient doesn’t look after the hip the implant may become loose, break, and can even get infected and thus causing even bigger problems.
Here are some of the most common complications that people face after having a Hip Replacement and they are mentioned below
There is a strict restriction of movement and patients are suggested not to bend their hips or needs more than 90 degrees. They cannot bend down and pull up their socks or do any such activity as it may result in a dislocation.
- If you get a hip replacement you should completely avoid stairs and make necessary arrangements to go up and down the stairs without using them.
- Slipping and falling down can prove to be fatal so remove all the clutter and you might want to throw away the slippery rugs too.
- It is suggested to use an elevated toilet seat and this will help to minimize bending. Bowel movements can be unsettling so it is advised that you take stool softener whenever you have a heavy diet.
Once you start taking care of yourself and following all the above-mentioned tips the situation is going to get better. The absence of pain after the hip replacement surgery can be worth the struggle that you have to go through.
To know more about Hip replacement, the causes, and how to treat joint pains search for Impact Doctors Hub on the internet and read the articles on their website.
If you are looking for the best Orthopedic Doctor In Gurgaon and Leading physiotherapist and HOD, Physiotherapy, CK Birla Hospital, Dr Saed Varis, you can contact Impact Doctors Hub and set up a meeting with one of their best Orthopedic Doctors In Gurgaon. We hope that their team can help you with whatever problems you have.
HOD, CK Birla Hospital (Physiotherapy), India’s Leading Physiotherapist
Dr Saed Varis is an eminent physiotherapist in India with vast experience in treating post-operative orthopaedic conditions like TKR, THR, ACLR, HTO, etc. He has vast experience treating conditions like PA shoulder (Frozen Shoulder), Bankart Lesion, Knee Pain, Bursitis, Tennis Elbow, Golfers Elbow, Wrist Pain, Ankle Pain, Ligament Injuries, and many other musculoskeletal conditions.
Gurgaon’s Top Physiotherapist Dr Saed Varis, says, because of ageing, or due to a serious injury, certain individuals might start suffering from joint issues that restrict them from performing daily activities. One of the most common among them is knee osteoarthritis, which is an outcome of old age. Other knee diseases caused due to inflammation and injury are rheumatoid arthritis and post-traumatic arthritis, respectively. Serious knee diseases make normal activities such as walking, sitting, climbing stairs, lifting heavy objects, or standing for a prolonged duration of time very difficult. If medicines cannot show significant improvement in the knees, then the patients are suggested to go for a total knee replacement surgery (TKR).